Tree Canada is a mature, not-for-profit charitable organization established to encourage Canadians to plant and care for trees in urban and rural environments, while teaching of the value of trees. Tree Canada aims to bolster Canada’s urban forests as well and to inspire people to participate in, and advocate for, community greening.
The Manager of Communications and Marketing is a full time, permanent position reporting directly to the President, based in the national office in Ottawa, Ontario. Tree Canada offers a very generous benefits package which includes: medical, dental, vision care, an optional Long-Term Disability program, self-guided RRSP pension plan, training allowances and professional memberships.
What can I expect in this role?
In this role you will:
- Lead and implement the organization’s communications and marketing strategy and plan in accordance with the organization’s strategic direction, including defining key measures of success, regular monitoring and reporting as well as acting as the brand guardian to champion, develop and manage the Tree Canada brand
- Lead, develop, supervise and direct the work of three employees and two contractors within a larger team.
- Oversee the annual communications and marketing budget while directing the organization’s public relations and web development agencies to ensure alignment with corporate objectives
- Oversee and direct the successful execution of 200+ yearly events throughout the country.
- Develop and maintain productive, effective, working relationships with colleagues, clients, contractors, corporate sponsors, aboriginal communities where appropriate, key media and provincial and national environmental and/or resource-based organizations.
How do I qualify?
- A minimum of seven years of progressive experience in marketing and communications, corporate branding and public relations.
- A minimum of five years of managing, directing and supervising staff.
- A minimum of five years of managing projects and associated budgets.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in both official languages (English and French).
- Post-secondary (Master’s or Bachelor’s) degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience (strong marketing experience preferred).
- Knowledge of social media platforms and their outreach potential, as well as website design and effectiveness.
- Knowledge and awareness of privacy legislation and requirements related to government, private corporations, and donors.
- Knowledge of: emerging Canadian environmental or forestry trends, sustainability issues in business (Corporate Social Responsibility), and governmental/societal support for the “green agenda”.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship management and networking skills with colleagues, clients and third parties with proven experience as a team manager/motivator
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective internal and external relationships through a collaborative and motivating working style
- Excellent oral and written communications and client service skills to liaise with staff, Board of Directors, partners and government agencies.
- Ability to develop and implement appropriate marketing and communication plan(s) and manage complex relationships.
- Excellent project planning and management skills to coordinate and organize work priorities, develop project plans/schedules and deliver projects within financial resources and timelines.
- Proven competence in implementing broad scale communications and marketing campaigns using advanced marketing and media relations tactics, as well as social media and digital approaches to reach new audiences and/or increase the engagement of sponsors.
- Strong computer skills including a high proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), Adobe Creative Suite, media platforms (Meltwater), email marketing software (Constant Contact), website management and analytics tools (WordPress, Google Analytics, basic HTML) and social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) – knowledge in Salesforce an asset
- Demonstrated experience in supervision of staff including implementation of performance management systems.
Analytical and problem-solving skills:
- Reasoning and problem-solving skills to assess the needs of the Tree Canada organization, potential partners and agencies to help develop programs that are cost effective and improve client program/service delivery.
- Management skills to deal effectively with: conflicting priorities, deadlines, fulfilling obligations while remaining focused in the face of multiple distractions.
- Advanced political acumen with the ability to foresee potential issues and complications with the ability to take corrective action or to suggest options to reduce or mitigate potential impacts.
Interpersonal and Communication skills:
- Ability to work independently in accordance with objectives, plans and established guidelines, yet contribute to the efforts of the overall team to achieve desired results. Situations may require dealing with unexpected issues requiring skills to develop options and provide recommendations for the most appropriate action.
- Demonstrated tact, good judgment and discretion; strong social and professional networking skills that can work towards building effective teams within the organization.
- Judgment to advise on overarching political and/or organizational issues and offer solutions to overcome the challenges through review and analysis.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience in developing and maintaining a constructive and productive team.
- Ability to project a positive and enthusiastic image of Tree Canada
Organization and project management skills:
- Organization, coordination, and project management skills to assist the direct team, overall organizational teams, and Board of Director initiatives in achieving the required outcomes.
- High degree of self-motivation, good judgment, adaptability, problem solving, reliability, organizational, attention to detail and conflict resolution skills.
How to apply:
- You must apply by e-mail
- Your cover letter and resumé should not exceed five (5) pages
- Customize your letter and resumé to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Use concrete examples – you must demonstrate the requirements for the job.
- Read the job description so you understand the job.
Interested candidates may apply in confidence via e-mail indicating “Manager of Communications and Marketing” in the subject line to:
Geraldine Hyland, Administration Manager
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Tree Canada is an equal opportunity employer. If you require a disability-related accommodation, contact the Administration Manager at the address above.