Tree Canada is the only national non-profit organization dedicated to planting and nurturing trees in rural and urban environments. Through our programs, research and engagement efforts, we have helped restore tree cover in areas hit by natural disasters, guided communities in managing their urban forests, supported over 700 schoolyard greening projects, and organized urban forest conferences. To date, with our community partners and sponsors, we have planted more than 83 million trees. If you believe in the benefits of trees and are looking for a dynamic workplace that is poised for growth, Tree Canada would love to hear from you!
As a Program Manager with Tree Canada, you will become part of an energetic team of dedicated professionals who are working in the pursuit of a greener and healthier living environment for all Canadians. The Program Manager reports to the Director of Operations and is responsible for managing the National Greening Program and the Grow Clean Air (carbon offset program).
In this role, you will help Tree Canada to develop and support forest restoration projects across the country. You will work with Indigenous communities, conservation organizations, silvicultural foresters, and municipalities to support and implement tree planting projects. You will provide leadership in identifying, selecting, and coordinating the funding and establishment of ecosystem and forest cover restoration projects. You will help determine, quantify, and communicate the benefits of tree planting as a tool for climate change mitigation and adaptation as well as increasing ecosystem resilience.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- – Manage the National Greening Program including 20-25 mass plantings across Canada, planting 700,000 – 1,000,000 – seedlings annually
- – Manage the Grow Clean Air carbon offset program
- – Secure planting sites and coordinate planting contractors
- – Schedule planting verification audits and survival assessments
- – Provide education and outreach to Tree Canada’s audience in conjunction with the Communications department
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Post-secondary (Master’s or Bachelor’s) degree in forestry, environmental studies, land use planning, or geography or a combination of education and experience in a related field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- – Strong background in silviculture
- – Solid knowledge of tree biology with practical field experience
- – At least 2 years of project management and implementation related experience
- – Experience working with diverse stakeholders including municipalities, universities and the private sector
- – Detail oriented and organized with a demonstrated client-focused mindset
- – Strong interpersonal, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- – Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- – Proficiency in both English and French
- – Ability to work both independently and with a team in a collaborative environment.
- – Strong computer skills including proficiency with videoconferencing tools, Dropbox, Microsoft Word and Excel including manipulation within spreadsheets (i.e., sorting, basic formulas)
- – Knowledge and experience with forest carbon and carbon finance an asset
- – Knowledge and experience in Salesforce and OpenWater an asset
- – Knowledge and experience in geomatics such as Google Maps and ESRI ArcGIS an asset
- – Respect for the values and differences that all members of a small team bring to an office environment; adaptable to different approaches and flexible to move in new directions.
Note that Tree Canada offers a competitive medical and dental benefits package and RRSP contributions matched by employer (up to 5% of salary). Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Full time permanent position (37.5 hours/week).
If you are looking for a challenge and an opportunity to shape a unique and creative environmental organization, please indicate your interest by forwarding a résumé and covering letter addressing how your qualifications and experience meet the requirements for the position to email@example.com under the subject “Program Manager” by November 28, 2021. We thank all candidates for their interest. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.