(Ottawa, ON – June 21, 2010) Tree Canada, Canada’s national tree organization is seeking proposals by municipalities to host the prestigious 10th Canadian Urban Forest Conference (CUFC) in October 2012. Besides being the tenth conference of its type in Canada, CUFC10 will also be held in conjunction with Tree Canada’s gala 20th anniversary – an occasion of great celebration!
The CUFC brings together approximately 350 foresters, urban planners, policy makers and municipal experts to develop new strategies and to promote techniques to preserve and manage urban forests in Canada. With over 80% of Canadians living in cities, trees play a huge role in providing environmental and psychological benefits to all. The conference is also a wonderful opportunity for municipalities to profile their urban forests in their communities.
For applications to be evaluated, municipalities should submit a proposal demonstrating:
- Urban forest program history and commitment
- Possible themes
- Ideas around incorporating the 20th anniversary gala into the conference
- Accessibility to airports and other transportation
- Venue choice (if possible) and willingness to sign a hotel agreement
- Ability to Chair the Organizing Committee, have the backing of Council and staff, and allow Tree Canada to participate on the Committee
- Strong community involvement
- Willingness to allow 50% of the profits to go towards a local legacy project, and 50% of the profits to be returned to Tree Canada
Tree Canada, the host organization of the conference will provide:
- Organizational support and website registration
- Seed funding
- Communications and program continuity including registrations and sponsors
- Welcome address and lead in the Awards presentation (the “Gala”)
Proposals will be accepted until August 1, 2010. An organizational manual is available for perusal. The winner will be announced at the CUFC9 in Truro, Nova Scotia on October 7, 2010.
Please send all proposals to email@example.com.
For more information please contact:
President, Tree Canada
613-567-5545 ext 221