Creating the Perfect Woodlands-Inspired Garden

Jennifer Frankland

Tree Canada Blog Writer, volunteer Rédactrice de blogue bénévole pour Arbres Canada

Rural families privately own 80% of woodland in Canada while manufacturers control the remaining 20%. Woodland gardens provide families with cool areas during summer and valuable wildlife environment while beautifying the landscape. Several community-based organizations in the country encourage green infrastructure projects of planting trees as part of a sustainable movement to get back as much green as possible across different areas of our environment, including our homes. While it’s not easy to create your own woodlands-inspired garden, any homeowner can enjoy the benefits of watching an at-home oasis grow and flourish by following the right steps.

Here’s what you can do to create a lush, low-maintenance woodlands garden:

Preparing the Beautiful Woodland Garden

Preparation of a beautiful woodland garden begins with understanding your environment. Look to your surrounding for help. Depending on the size of your garden and the area where you want to plant, you have to examine factors such as soil, light and the native plants that grow in the region. There are several steps undertaken during preparation. Drawing the boundary of the garden is the first step. Clear the area by removing weeds and any trash found in the surrounding. Also, keep in mind the space needed for additional structures. For instance, when buying cabin kits to create an outdoor-living space, consider adding footpaths to ease movement within the garden. Preparation of soil is best done by adding compost to it. Selected plants are then placed into the holes which have been dug and watered. Afterward, mulching through use of leaves and barks of natural woodland plants can be done as part of the final preparation of the garden.

Choosing the Ideal Plants

Determining the suitable plants for your woodlands garden requires several steps. Space defines how tall or how broad a specific tree will grow. One may have to select plants that will blend well with the area coverage. Although most plants adapt to different lighting, matching the plants you choose with the recommended lighting needs will ensure they flourish in your woodlands-inspired garden. Determining the type of plant species to grow in your garden also depends on the soil quality. Naturally, woodlands have rich, moist soil due to natural mulch and decomposition. They support a wide range of plant species. However, you may also want to select plants that level up the pH. Local gardeners can be a great resource when it comes to choosing the right plants.

Looking After and Providing for Your Garden’s Needs

While woodland gardens have low maintenance requirements, new plants need additional watering during the initial year of set up. Weeding of exotic species is essential on a regular basis to avoid competition with the native plants in the garden. Each year, organic or humus-rich mulch should be added to maintain the richness of the soil. Leaving fallen leaves, branches and twigs where they fall contribute to the nourishment of the soil through mulching. Occasional pruning of the shrubs and trees is also required to encourage healthy growth and flowering of your plants.

Creating your own perfect woodland-inspired garden can be one of the most satisfying things in life. You will reap many rewards such as having a vibrant and appealing green space in your home, more wildlife like birds and of course a great achievement to be proud of. Apart from using the tips above, carry out detailed research before you start.


Back to all articles